LipiFlow for Dry Eye
There are two different types of chronic dry eye; the treatment is different for each type.
- Aqueous Dry Eye is caused by insufficient tear production by the lacrimal glands
- Evaporative Dry Eye is the most common type of dry eye and is caused by a blockage of the Meibomian glands of the eyelid which leads to a shortage of oil on the tear surface and an increase in tear evaporation
Products like Restasis® are commonly, and effectively, used to increase tear production for Aqueous Dry Eye. However, this will not help Evaporative Dry Eye.
The quick and virtually painless LipiFlow® treatment can provide relief for people suffering from Evaporative Dry Eye in Buffalo, New York. During the LipiFlow Thermal Pulsation System treatment, our doctors use a single-use Activator (eyepiece) to apply:
- Controlled to the inner eyelid to unblock the Meibomian glands
- Pressure to stimulate natural oil production
Clinical studies have shown an improvement of Evaporative Dry Eye symptoms in 79% of LipiFlow patients within four weeks of treatment. The level of improvement ranged from 10% to 100% improvement.
What is the Cause of Your Dry Eye?
In order to treat Buffalo, NY dry eye, an eye doctor must first determine what is causing the problem. By scheduling an eye exam at Atwal Eye Care / Buffalo Eye Care Associates, your dry eye problem will be identified and we will be able to recommend the correct treatment. The following techniques may be used:
- Examination of eyelids, cornea and overall eye health
- Schirmer test to measure the volume of tears
- Eye drop dyes to determine the quality of tears
- LipiView interferometer for tear film assessment
- Meibomian Gland Evaluator TM for examination of your natural oil production
To find out what is causing your dry eye symptoms in Buffalo, New York and to find out if LipiFlow might be right for you, contact us today to schedule an eye exam.