Laser vision correction technology is truly amazing. By reshaping extremely small and precise areas of corneal tissue with an excimer laser, light entering your eye can land more directly onto your retina for clearer vision. Even if you’ve worn glasses your entire life, LASIK can upgrade your vision after a single treatment.
At Atwal Eye Care, we are committed to investing in advanced LASIK technologies to provide the very best vision results for our patients. We use two lasers to accomplish this: Ziemer femtosecond laser to create the corneal flap and the WaveLight® EX500 excimer laser to reshape the cornea.
Ziemer Femtosecond Laser
In any LASIK procedure, it is necessary to create a corneal flap. This flap gives your doctor access to the underlying corneal tissue so it can be reshaped with an excimer laser to allow light to properly focus on the retina. Traditional LASIK methods involve using a hand-held blade (microkeratome) to make the corneal flap. We use blade-free LASIK to create the corneal flap in a faster, safer and more precise manner. For this process we utilize the Ziemer femtosecond laser.
How Blade-free LASIK Works
The Ziemer laser separates corneal tissue for flap creation by generating ultra-short, overlapping pulses of lower energy at a precise depth. The flap is folded over so an excimer laser can reshape the underlying tissue. The entire process is based on Wavefront technology that gathers hundreds of eye measurements to create an extremely customized vision correction plan for your unique eyes.
WaveLight® EX500 Excimer Laser
We use the Alcon WaveLight® EX500 excimer laser system to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. We take time to fully explain how this technology works and why it is considered one of the fastest laser technology platforms on the market today. Here is a general overview of the benefits:
- Personalized, precise treatment: the EX500 laser system uses digital 3D information about your own unique eye characteristics gathered during pre-operative testing to correct specific areas on your cornea.
- Safety – PerfectPulse Technology®: eye tracking technology is incorporated to compensate for any involuntary eye movements which halt the process entirely until the eye is in the correct position.
- Quickness and comfort: the process takes just minutes to complete so the process is comfortable for most patients.
- Results: most patients achieve better vision after treatment than what they had wearing glasses or contact lenses – often 20/20 vision or better. This is because the system creates a detailed digital map of your cornea so incredibly detailed information can be used for specific corneal reshaping.
Benefits of Blade-free LASIK
Blade-free LASIK has many advantages over the traditional method:
- Stronger, more stable corneal flap
- Reduced risk of complications
- Faster visual recovery
- Accurate, reproducible incisions
- Exceptional safety
- Customization for each unique eye
Not all LASIK doctors in Western New York offer this level of LASIK technology. If you are considering LASIK, make sure you do your research and learn about the different types of FDA-approved LASIK technology that exist so you can make an informed decision about which one is right for you.
You can learn more about our blade-free LASIK technologies and find out if your eyes are right for this procedure by scheduling a LASIK Consultation with us today. Our LASIK doctors will perform a comprehensive exam and provide up-front and honest information about your eye health and our recommendations for improvement.
Ready to take the next steps?